top of page

Roger Hayes (in whites)

in the Dane Park BC winning team against Margate BC in the 2005 IoTBA Fours championship at Margate.

​WELCOME!

​To the History site of the Margate Bowling Club in Kent UK.

 

This is not an official site of the Margate Bowling Club and the views expressed and content are from the author Roger Hayes and not necessarily those of the Club members.


The Margate Bowling Club has documented roots back to the 1700's and has been located at various sites in Margate until 1922 when it was located to its present site at 18 Northdown Avenue, MARGATE CT9 2NW.

Roger Dennis Hayes

·         The Margate Bowling Club is situated at 18 Northdown Avenue, Cliftonville, Kent CT9 2NW and has been here since it moved in 1922 from its former site.

 

·         The earliest historical reports of the Margate bowling green can been found in a 1601 record at the St John's Church in Margate.

 

·         At that time the Bowling Green was situated in Market Place, now the present Market Square housing the Town Hall and Museum.

 

·         The green was subsequently moved to Zion Place thought to be early 1800 and then to Hartsdown Road in mid 1800's until it moved to its present site in 1922. It is reasonable to assume any green in Margate would have been called the Margate Bowling Green.

 

·         Early around 1920 the Margate Corporation subsumed the Margate Bowling Club green.

 

·         On 24th November 1921 a Private Company, Margate Bowling Club Limited was founded and in 1922 the Margate Bowling Club transferred as a private club to its present site in Northdown Avenue.

 

·         The Club has been on this site since 1922 and is of historic interest in that the clubhouse is an original brick and timber roof building. Indeed it has retained much of its exterior design having a porch with wooden patio style glazed doors along its front aspect overlooking the (bowling) green.

 

·         In February 1945, in his capacity as Club President, Mr Percy Snow handed over to the Club the deeds of the land free of any commitments.

 

·         In 1963 a ladies CIub was formed and permission was granted to use the facilities at Northdown Avenue alongside Margate Bowling Club.

 

·         In January 2002 the men’s and ladies’ clubs amalgamated to become the Percy Snow joint members club.

 

·         The Margate Bowling Club Limited Company was formally wound up in 2005.

 

·         The Club is the only fully private bowling club in Thanet as the other local bowling clubs are leased from Thanet District Council and other local/parish councils.

bottom of page